[Sca-cooks] Cialdoni and Nevole - A Recipe Search

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Dec 28 12:36:39 PST 2020

I have come across another reference you might find of interest.  It is fairly far down in the paper.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/234001201_Medieval_Hanukkah_Traditions_Jewish_Festive_Foods_in_their_European_Contexts

The TasteAtlas has information similar to that I provided and points to the town where the nevole irons are made.

https://www.tasteatlas.com/nevole

I have also encountered a reference to a recipe for "cyaldones" to be found in Lorenzo de Medici's "Canto delcialdoni".  You are more likely to be familiar with the literature than I.

I've no idea if nevole were rolled in period, but Johnna's reference shows that some wafers were.  I think I've about mined all my available sources.

Bear