[Sca-cooks] Modern Document Project with Old Techniques

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 06:21:38 PST 2020

All,

I have been working on a transcription project of my grandmother's cooking
notes. My mom found them when she was going through some boxes that she had
in storage. What struck me in working on them was their similarity to
medieval cookery texts. These are not recipes formatted as you would see in
a modern cookbook. Rather, they are a list of what ingredients are needed
and many of the steps to follow. Sometimes there are amounts or
temperatures given, sometimes not. Sometimes times are given and in others
cases it is simply "until done". Too, spelling is inconsistent and there
are plenty of run-on sentences. The biggest differences are that
ingredients tend to have a separate listing from the instructions and there
are often precise times and temperatures given.

Yours,

Guillaume