[Sca-cooks] OP: natto

Audrey Bergeron-Morin audreybmorin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 14:59:02 PDT 2020

Add a dash of soy sauce and a little bit of sliced green onion, stir well,
serve over warm rice. It really doesn't need anything more. (There's often
a little packet of mustard inside the single-serve containers - I've never
liked it, but if they put it in there, some people must eat it!)

Common wisdom says to stir it really really well before you add anything to
it to develop the strings, but if you're not a fan of the texture, I find
that stirring it as little as possible makes it easier for non-fans to eat.

When I had easier access to fresh natto (when I was living in Honolulu),
I'd often have it with a fried egg as quick protein/breakfast, and/or over
a big bowl of fresh greens (goes well with avocado), or, my very, very
special treat, at the risk of being labelled a heretic... as a garnish on
top of a bowl of fresh poke.

You can also stick it inside an omelet, or in onigiri (rice ball wrapped
with seaweed).

Note that 8 oz is probably a lot for one portion. I've looked at online
images and single-serve packages seem to be 3.5 to 4 oz.

Enjoy!