[Sca-cooks] OP Mesopotamian Recipes

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at gmail.com
Sun May 10 16:59:47 PDT 2020

Dear Randell ,

If you are interested in seeing the rest of the recipes, they are in "The
Oldest Cuisine in the World: Cooking in Mesopotamia" by Jean Bottero (
https://books.google.com/books?id=PxnaaTzC8tMC). It contains a complete
translation of the tablets. It also does a good job of providing context.
The more current article provides a bit of updated information as well as a
different perspective on the same. I've made several dishes working from
this and have also been experimenting with the kind of grains listed in it
to make bread, so I rate it as quite usable.

I hope this is helpful.

Yours,

Guillaume

The majority of the culinary section is in the article?
> They tease us by saying there are 25 recipes on one of the tablets and
> only give us 4???
>
> Even partial recipes would be informative.
> There are just not enough food geeks in the world...sigh...
>
> Thanks for posting it up, it was very interesting!
>
> Randell Raye
>
> ________________________________
> All,
>
> I recently came across this article titled "The Ancient Mesopotamian Tablet
> as Cookbook" (
>
> https://www.laphamsquarterly.org/roundtable/ancient-mesopotamian-tablet-cookbook
> )
> and wanted to share it here. It is an excerpt of "Ancient Mesopotamia
> Speaks" which coves quite a bit of the contents and context of the Yale
> Babylonian collection with a focus on their tablets. The majority of the
> culinary section is in this article. There are additional bits giving
> illustrations of seals and other depictions of foodways as well as other
> sections that I am interested in, so I am pleased with my purchase of the
> book. If you are only interested in the recipes, though, just enjoy the
> article.
>
> Yours,
>
> Guillaume

Virus-free.