[Sca-cooks] Rampion Bellflower

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at gmail.com
Thu May 21 20:52:12 PDT 2020

Hello All,

I am working on a translation of Le regime du corps and I came across a
rather complicated entry on rampion bellflower. There's an unusual amount
in this section warning about how bad this stuff can be. There is a bit at
the end saying how to prepare it which is also unusual in this work.Doing a
quick search online shows the leaves and roots are edible. In the Regime,
it looks like only the leaves are considered and are of course cooked. I
was wondering if anyone had any experience with this plant and what parts
were used, if so.

Here's the part of the entry concerning their preparation. It is a first
draft, so I apologize for the roughness of the work.

One must first cook them with calamint and with pepper, and then throw
water to it, and make cook together, and then one can eat them with pepper,
ginger, caraway, calamint, oregano, cinnamon and other similar spices, and
one must after drink some good lively strong wine, and that which are of
cold nature which are eaten used after of these electuaries, as with
ginger, acorus, quinces, *dyatrion pyperon*, because these things are good
when mending badness.

Dyatrion pyperon is medicine from three types of pepper: white pepper, long
pepper and black pepper.

Yours,

Guillaume