[Sca-cooks] Korean Cuisine

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at gmail.com
Tue May 19 16:33:51 PDT 2020

All,

I just got two books having to do with historical Korean cookery and
thought I would share a bit about them. The first is "Korean Cuisine: An
Illustrated History" which covers a range of subjects from drink to
seasonal foods to royal dishes. It also spans a broad range of time,
providing perspective on the country's history through its cuisine. There
are a few recipes included, but one of the best aspects of the book is the
bibliography which is divided up into primary and secondary source
sections. This is a great introduction into historical Korean cuisine. The
second book, "Jewels of the Palace: Royal Recipes from Old Korea" is much
more focused; as the name suggests, it deals primarily with the dishes
served to royalty. It includes about 70 recipes which are well
photographed. It also includes information concerning the running of the
kitchen of the palace. There's even a list of job titles and their
respective duties. It also features a decent bibliography and a reference
to the Korean Food Foundation's site (www.hansik.org/
<http://archive.hansik.org/>) from which I was able to find their archive
of primary sources (
https://www.hansik.or.kr/kr/archive/archiveAllList.do?menuId=187&acode=GNB_archive).
I had to go back and forth with Google Translate to navigate as I do not
read Korean or Chinese, but t hope that more of these resources are made
available to non-Korean speaking folks in time.

Yours,

Guillaume

Virus-free.
www.avg.com