[Sca-cooks] Portuguese Recipes in Foreign Books Before 1900

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 17:30:09 PDT 2021

All,

I recently received a copy of À Portuguesa Receitas em livros estrangeiros
até 1900 by Virgílio Nogueiro Gomes. As the title implies, it is a set of
Portuguese recipes found in foreign sources prior to 1900. As there is
little source material from Portugal, especially older than 1700, this
volume offers some additional material from which to draw. It also
emphasizes the importance of international travel and trade in European
history.

Sources come from Belgium, Spain, England, Italy and France. Replicas of
the original works are given along with translations into modern Portuguese
(this is a Portuguese language work, by the way). The target audience is
very much food history lovers. I'm glad there are enough in Portugal and
perhaps Brazil to allow for the publication of this work.

If interested in ordering, it may be found here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/989754495X/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_Q6ADQCFR8CJQFMPQNRD8

Yours,

Guillaume