[Sca-cooks] Smithsonian article on garum

Sandra J. Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Sun Oct 31 05:10:03 PDT 2021

It gets off to a bad start, using phrases like " And garum hardly sounds like something that would tempt 21st-century taste buds. Many recipes that survive from antiquity call for allowing fish to putrefy in open vats under the Mediterranean sun for up to three months" and " for most scholars, the lesson of garum (pronounced gah-room) has been that the past inhabited by Roman gourmands-known to eat sow udders, ostrich brains and roasted dormice rolled in honey-was an unimaginably foreign country."  It does get better, however.  Whether it's good I'll leave to those who know more about the period than I do.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/recoving-the-recipe-for-garum-180978846/

Sandra