[Sca-cooks] Smithsonian article on garum

Joel Lord jpl at ilk.org
Sun Oct 31 08:05:06 PDT 2021

The product they are selling based on this work is available on Amazon,
my bottle got here a few days ago.  We have not yet tried it in food,
but it smells like fish-based wet cat food, and a toothpick dipped in
for a taste tastes just like it smells.  It it a massive punch of umami,
and used in moderation I'm hoping it's not just cat food.

-Joel

On 10/31/2021 8:10 AM, Sandra J. Kisner wrote:
> It gets off to a bad start, using phrases like " And garum hardly sounds like something that would tempt 21st-century taste buds. Many recipes that survive from antiquity call for allowing fish to putrefy in open vats under the Mediterranean sun for up to three months" and " for most scholars, the lesson of garum (pronounced gah-room) has been that the past inhabited by Roman gourmands-known to eat sow udders, ostrich brains and roasted dormice rolled in honey-was an unimaginably foreign country."  It does get better, however.  Whether it's good I'll leave to those who know more about the period than I do.
>
> https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/recoving-the-recipe-for-garum-180978846/
>
> Sandra

Joel Lord