[Sca-cooks] Kidney Beans

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Aug 9 09:36:03 PDT 2023

The term used is ""fasoli" which is a general term for bean and prior to the arrival of New World beans likely referred to any legume not a fava bean.  It derives from "phaseolus" the Latin term for "bean" which became the species name for New World beans in the 18th Century.  The edible Old World beans of genus Vigna were originally included in genus Phaseolus.  "Kidney  bean" is a general term for members Phaseolus as well as being used a specific common name.  I am given to understand "fasoli" modernly is used to refer to all non-fava legumes including the Vignas.  To avoid confusion, I try to use taxonomic nomenclature where I can.

The asparagus bean, Vigna unguiculata subsp sesquipedalis,  is a vine with a seed pod one to two feet long.  Like the black eyed pea, it's a relative of the cowpea,  Vigna unguiculata sussp. unguiculata.  I've seen the plant in botanical collections, but have never had any to play with culinarily.