[Sca-cooks] Kidney Beans

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 12 18:30:12 PDT 2023

Terry Decker aka Bear wrote:
"The asparagus bean, Vigna unguiculata subsp sesquipedalis, is a vine with a seed pod one to two feet long. Like the black eyed pea, it's a relative of the cowpea, Vigna unguiculata sussp. unguiculata. I've seen the plant in botanical collections, but have never had any to play with culinarily."

I believe this is what is also known as long bean. They are not uncommon in Southeast Asia. They figure into Indonesian cuisine. I can get them in the Berkeley Bowl market and most Asian markets where i live.

Urtatim al-Qurtubiyya