[Sca-cooks] Rice

Barbara Nostrand nostrand at acm.org
Wed Aug 9 11:34:48 PDT 2023

There are three important subspecies of Oryza sativa: japonica, indica, and javanica. African rice Oryza glaberrima was independently domesticated about 3,000 years ago, and North Africa was a major agricultural region for the Roman Empire prior to desertification. Ancient Rome imported Oryza sativa from India. There are two important clades of cultivars of Oryza sativa subsp. Japonica which correspond to differing concentrations of starch molecules. A third species of Oryza was domesticated in the Americas.

Your Humble Servant
Sǫlveig Þrándardóttir
Amateur Scholar