[Sca-cooks] Insoluble vs Soluble Fiber, was RE: Foods for Invalids

Christy chefchristy at kingstaste.com
Tue Jan 10 11:07:56 PST 2023

OOH!  You've hit on the question I am having the most trouble getting an
answer to!  Soluble vs Insoluble fiber!  And see,  you hit on that first
thing!  I've asked several medical professionals that very question and been
given many blank stares.  When I posed the question to my GI surgeon, he
said (after telling me the diet portion wasn't rocket science): "Well now
you ARE making it Rocket Science!"   LOL
(not a distinction they would have made in period, for sure.)
Insoluble fiber acts like a bottle brush and cleans the digestive tract,
while soluble fiber dissolves into the bloodstream and cleans deposits in
the blood vessels, among other important functions.  Beans are on the no
list, but they have both soluble fiber, and skins wherein most of the
insoluble fiber resides.  Most dietary recommendations do not differentiate,
although I have found one study that shows that women should reintroduce
soluble fiber first, which makes sense to me.

White rice is low in fiber.  I know there is a long-standing tradition
revolving around Blancmange and invalid food.  Maybe I should revisit a
Medieval Lenten Diet again this year and explore White Fish and Blancmange
variations again - LOL