[Sca-cooks] Foods for Invalids

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Jan 10 18:28:55 PST 2023

More from another review

Extract
Vaughan has written an excellent book for everyone interested in Medical Anthropology and Women’s Studies. This time, Vaughan focuses on the intersection among women, medieval theories of nutrition and health and culture around food. Divided in nine chapters, the book starts by underlining the strong relationship between women and provisions. Mothers breast fed their children, meaning that their diet (or wetnurses’ regime) was important for both women and babies. Housewives cared for their families using herbs and diet, and therefore possessed some kind of knowledge or beliefs around foodstuffs. Some women worked as midwives or physicians and recommended specific regimes for their patients. Likewise, there was female presence in the production, distribution and preparation of foodstuffs and, as a result, in the Middle Ages women were essential in every aspect around food.
However, written sources from a female point of view are scarce because in the Middle Ages most women were illiterate. Thus, Vaughan thinks that an anthropological perspective can be useful for historians and asserts that ‘folklorists and anthropologists know that theories of medicine (and the role of food within folk medicine) are pervasive, sometimes borrowing from a written tradition, but also influencing that tradition’ (p. 48). In other words, women could change ideas around food in a deeper way than has been studied until now.