SC - paper

John Ruble ulf at urocor.com
Thu Sep 10 07:24:02 PDT 1998

Rayah said:
> Tomorrow i'm going to play around with some papryus and see if it dyes
> like i remember...i got 11 sheets of this stuff-that's enough to make a
> mass of mistakes-and if i get too wild eyed, I'll spray down a couple
> with alum and scream "that's it, you're getting marbled!".

You know, at one time I had made a half-scale paper mill.  It wasn't
fully functional (do you know what goes into making a functional water
wheel?), but it wasn't that hard.  If you replaced the water wheel with a
motor you could let it run in your garage or basement.  It had three
mallets made from 4x4 lumber, tripped by a rotating shaft with spikes to
lift the hammers, then let them fall.

He's crazy, you say.  Yes, I am.  But the advantage of a mill over a
blender for fibering out the rags is this: Longer Fibers.  The paper you
make from this would be more durable.  Paper took a big downward turn
after the close of period when they started using blades to chop the rags
up.

Ulfie