SC - paper

peerage1 peerage1 at flash.net
Thu Sep 10 08:26:05 PDT 1998

> You know, at one time I had made a half-scale paper mill.  It wasn't
> fully functional (do you know what goes into making a functional water
> wheel?), but it wasn't that hard.  If you replaced the water wheel with a
> motor you could let it run in your garage or basement.  It had three
> mallets made from 4x4 lumber, tripped by a rotating shaft with spikes to lift the hammers, then let them fall.

Oh KEWL!  I'm deleting this message of your Ulfie as quick as i can,
before I start thinking "that is soooo neat, i ought to talk Phelan into
making me one..." and finding myself back into papermaking AGAIN.

Ever make japanesse paper by hand?  I still have this horrible memory of
pounding a small amount of batches of kudu vine and mulberry bark to
pulp with a hammer, then grinding them with a vicious mortar & pestle
etc.etc. Put my wrist in a brace for the next 3 months.

Rayah