SC - applying silver

Don Whitney dwhitney98 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 8 06:36:14 PDT 1999

Franchesca,

Please tell us what the lace is for. This makes a big difference. Is it
going to be part of an outfit, an embellishment such as on a wooden box, or
something else. As this is part of the "garb" group, I will assume it is for
garb in the rest of my response.

  Painting the lace is perhaps the easiest option that I can think of.
However, it will also deteriorate very quickly, paint having a tendency to
flake (and I don't want to think about what a washing machine would do to
it).

  Perhaps a more attractive solution, but very time-intensive, would be
weaving the lace out of commercially available silver-colored thread. I
don't know if your friend has access to a lacemaking jig, but that is
another option. My understanding is that lacemaking takes a considerable
ammount of time, and I have never done it.

  I believe Alys covered the concept of Silver leaf pretty well, but keep in
mind that if you use actual silver you will have to polish it to keep it
from tarnishing.

Sylvias
Stargate