[Scriptoris] introductions, please

MGreene@mpan.com MGreene at mpan.com
Thu May 3 15:09:57 PDT 2001

Greetings!   I'm Mistress Hillary Rose Greenslade, OP, from the Canton of
Westgate in the Barony of Stargate.  I've been playing in the SCA since the
fall of '87.   My interest in the SCA was due to the arts, where I do
Callig/Illumination, Stain Glass and Jewelry/metalsmithing.  I try to limit
my involvement to three areas, but its always tempting to try some new
mediums!  :-)      I have a Thistle in Callig/Illumination and an Iris.

Like Lady Suzanne, I'm also apprenticed to Master Geoff and Mistress Rose
Cathan.    The one big lesson they are trying to teach me is to 'just say
NO!'.   I haven't quite got that one down yet, but I'm working on it!
(Note:  the Mistress stands for Pelican, service seems to have pulled me
away from art a lot over the years.)

I have a scroll backlog, with a number of scrolls in various stages of
completion, along with a few other art projects in the works.   I enjoy the
Visconti Hours, and favor the Bar-and-Ivy style (working on a class of this
for the Heraldic and Scribal Symposium).    Art, for me, is a very personal
action, and I find I have to be in the right frame of mind to do it.   I'm
trying to get past that, to begin working on the project, even if I don't
'feel' like it, and hope that the 'feeling' will catch up to me while I'm
in the process.

The office of Sable Scroll was conceived by Mistress Rose and myself, one
evening while we were discussing Crowns and their personal scribes.   Rose
created the office charter, Duke Patrick Michael (then king) signed it, and
the rest is history.  Rose was the first Sable Scroll, with me as her
deputy.  I've been Sable Scroll twice since, one under the Rowan/Hector
reign.   That was interesting!, as we had to copy and change all the master
scrolls to make them say Queen/King, from King/Queen; and her/him, from
him/her.

Cheers,  Hillary