[Scriptoris] Re: originals

Kayci McKinley kmckinley at petra.com
Fri Sep 12 07:29:26 PDT 2003

> I'm not opposed to prize
> commemoratives per se; I'm opposed to spending more time and effort on them
> than goes into awards for the kingdom.

I do see your point, but the two things are not neccessarily exclusive.

The Abbey has produced over 11 kingdom awards, several baronial level
awards, while at the same time producing invitations, prize scrolls and
painting charters during the same time period (about 18 months) .  The
advantage to doing all of them is that the artists get a chance to do more
than one kind of thing and benefit all levels of the society.

I think that when you create something, you want it to be the best it can
be, no matter what level the recipient or group level in the society that
it goes to and that is part of the reason that the prize scrolls may seem
too time intensive. No one wants to short-change anyone who is being
recognized.

I do agree, though, that it is important to make sure that you don't spend
all of your time doing things in your comfort zone or under-utilizing
talents that you could contribute if you pushed yourself a little.  i.e. a
person who can do originals spending all of their time charter painting.

That doesn't mean that you never paint another charter after your first
original, but that you should reconsider the priorities each should have in
your schedule.  you have to pick and choose, becuase, unfortunately, there
are only so many hours in the day ( I just know it will be a scribe who
invents the first time machine so that they can work on that scroll...just a
...few... more... hours...)   :)

Nicolaea