[Scriptoris] Supplies & Books

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 30 13:02:21 PST 2003

Brushes:  For most purposes, any small round brush will do.  Use whatever you are most comfortable with.  I tend to prefer sable over synthetic, but others have good results with synthetic.  My best advice is (a) don't mash them when you're cleaning them, (b) don't let paint dry on them, and (c) don't leave them soaking in water.

Books:  What's your goal?  Are you a calligrapher, illuminator, or both?  Do you want to do SCA-style "scrolls", period-style legal documents, or both?  Do you want to paint charters, do originals, or both?

Basic handbook:  Heather Child, *The Calligrapher's Handbook*, 2nd edition
Basic calligraphy:  Marc Drogin, *Medieval Calligraphy* (or some such title) [Drogin only covers Northern European medieval calligraphy, not Italian or Spanish]; Stan Knight, *Historical Scripts* [a little more advanced, as you have to be your own Drogin, but much more comprehensive in scope than Drogin]
Basic illumination:  Christoper de Hamel, *History of Illuminated Manuscripts*, 2nd edition; Guilia Bologna, *Illuminated Manuscripts*

I strongly encourage you to not only look at the pretty pictures, but also actually read the books.  It was a long time before I started doing that, and it would have saved me a lot of confusion.

If you want to do period-style "scrolls", that's a whole other list, which I'm willing to provide if anyone wants it.
--Serena