[Scriptoris] Supplies & Books

Kimberly Koch sarapenrose at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 30 13:32:44 PST 2003

I am in complete agreement with the books Serena
listed - all are great resources. I have a few to add
to that list, most of which are reasonably priced and
readily available online through Amazon.com or Barnes
and Noble.

For beginning calligraphy:
-- "Art of Calligraphy" by David Harris

For beginning illumination:
-- "The Illuminated Page: Ten Centuries of Manuscript
Painting in the British Library" by Janet Backhouse
-- "Understanding Illuminated Manuscripts: A Guide to
Technical Terms" by Michelle P. Brown

For Celtic illumination:
-- "Celtic Art: The Methods of Construction" by George
Bain

For gold leaf (a more advanced illumination skill, but
not nearly as advanced as you might think):
-- "Secreta: Three Methods of Laying Gold Leaf" by
Joyce Grafe
Amazon.com says this book is out of print, but it must
be only recently so, because I just bought several
copies, both online and at a local art supply store.
You may still be able to find copies in stores.

The Bologna book that Serena lists is also out of
print, but can be pretty easily located through some
of the rare and out-of-print book dealers online or
through Amazon's used book service. I got my copy this
way, and I'm glad I made the extra effort to find it.
It's a wonderful book.

Sara