[Scriptoris] rare books

Jocelyn Hinkle scribe_ari at lycos.com
Thu Feb 13 14:38:29 PST 2003

>...And humidity-controlled.  If I remember correctly (and Ari will correct me if I don't) optimum humidity for conservation is about 50-60%.  Lower & things dry out; higher & mold grows.

Yes Climate control in many collections these days is strictly enforced. Some of the better libraries have book safes for their very rare and old books. Usually these can only be found in larger university and research facilities. The majority of special collections are kept in cooler temperatures. It usually does not completely deterr bugs, mold, or the natural deterioration of the materials in the books themselves but it does slow them down.

     It has come up for debate amongst the restoration community but there is a school of thought, with some data to back it up, that actually reading and handling the books on a regular basis is good for them. This is particularly true for the old vellum and leather bound books. The oils in your hands, read clean-just washed hands, are good for the books. And regualr handling and page turning of a gentle nature can add to the lifespan of the book.
     Now paperbacks and paper bound books with modern adhesives will turn to pulp in a matter of years and there is very little we can do to stop the process. we can delay it with de-acidification techniques, but the fact that the paper they were made from dooms them from the start.  Most all books from the 1800's on suffer from acidification of the paper that causes it to turn to dust. This is because of the water used to make the paper pulp, and the modern need for bright white paper. (which is actually much harder on the reader's eyes.) THe most common effect of this acidification is the Yellowing of the paper at the edges, and the brittleness of the pages. And... if the water was not purified before use then you get a fun little trait called "Foxing" wich looks like little dark yellow or brown spots on the page. It is caused by extra concentrations of acids and or impurities introduced during the papermaking peocess.

I can keep rambling but I'm sure you are all bored with the topic.
Ari

If you want a fun story about Haunted libraries and Book safes, find me at an event and I will tell you about my adventures in a haunted library.
---
Is there enough of God left, in the dust
between the stars, to dance up more
life than your fragile ego can stand?
Scribe_Ari at Lycos.com