[Scriptoris] Skin Processing

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 13:32:43 PST 2003

 Lisa Baumer wrote:

>>OK Here's a question? What type of skin do you usually begin with? >>What weight? Where can you obtain it?

To which Ari responded:

>That is the process for when you start with the Typical Tandy Drumhead >skin.  Good for works you want on Vellum, but can't afford or find the book >vellum prices.

To which I'm adding:

Yeah, almost all vellum I've seen, even stuff that purports to be book vellum, is way too thick, and needs to be treated as Ari described in order to make it useable.  I've seen one good sheet of properly thin vellum in all my time in the SCA--Mistress Rose had found it somewhere, and was showing it around.  That being said, don't use the stuff sold as paper shops as "tracing vellum"; it's *too* thin & too slick, and it has never been close to a sheep, cow, or goat, much less been the skin of one.  Earlier on this topic Ches shared a link to the website of a vellum-maker.  His stuff is too thick in my estimation (at least the stuff I've seen), but it's not as bad as most other stuff, and can be sanded down to proper thickness.

--Serena