[Scriptoris] Seeking Advice

Crystal Lamb crystal.lamb at sabinevalley.org
Tue Mar 25 07:55:01 PST 2003

Hi Elswythe!

I'm glad to hear that you fell in love with scrolls 'n such.  Scribe's
Point was just the beginning of a far larger world.  :-D

In the beginning I, too, lived where there were no classes and ventured
out on my own in learning calligraphy and illumination.  In those days,
the internet was just a thing called the "bulletin board" and we walked
five miles in the snow to get our gouache...and.....okay...okay...

My advice would be to order that really nifty book we mentioned a few
posts back by Marc Drogin called Medieval Calligraphy:  Its History and
Technique (or "Very Truly Yours, King Arthur" by the same author). While
you are waiting for it to arrive, I wish you had a local library that
had books that showed examples of period manuscripts.  That way you
could see what hands, periods and styles interested you.  Find the
nearest Barnes and Nobles, or Half Price Books.  Or...if you are like
me...the nearest Barnes and Nobles is 45 minutes away....lol!

Once you get Drogin, flip through and see how it's broken down into
common stroke patterns.  Then, grab some blue line graph paper and pens,
and start playing!  Lots!

Here's a trick:  take a pencil, and draw a "base line" across the bottom
of a row a squares....then count a certain number of "squares" up on the
blue graph paper...say four....then draw another parallel pencil line.
Now count two more squares up and draw another parallel pencil line.

Why do that?  Well, you've just made a "template" for your letters.  Now
you don't have to think about writing "straight."  Now you know where
the top of your "h"'s will stop (the top line) as will the "hump" of
your "h" (the middle line).  See?

Believe it or not, if you spend way too many hours practicing on that
little template thingy, you'll build muscle memory and stroke memory.
And the more you study the way letters were formed in period and
translate that into your hand, the more authentic your hand will be.
It's a rhythm thing (insert joke here).

And Serena is absolutely correct about marathon calliging.  When you
can't feel your hands, stop.   When you stop calliging, take the pen out
of your hands, and your fingers don't move, it's time to take a break.
LOL!!!

~Aslyn