[Scriptoris] Modern Calligraphy Guilds in Tx and Ok

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 25 13:26:35 PST 2003

Hey folks, take advantage of your city calligraphy guilds.  A variety of
hands are taught, including those within the SCA timeperiod.  And the best
part, they frequently host workshops with professionals, when you can learn
tons.  I will often check the workshop schedules of state guilds, and if a
professional callig. is coming that I want a class from, then I'll sign up.
Get 'em when and when you can.

If there is not a guild in your city, check with the guild closest to you...
I bet there are some commuters to the bigger city guild from your smaller
town.  I know the Houston Callig. Guild have folks coming in from Beaumont,
Galveston, Huntsville and Victoria to their once a month meeting.

Also, check out your local art stores, continuing education centers, and
community colleges, they frequently have someone doing classes on
calligraphy.

The Southwest Conference of Calligraphies has the following list of guilds.
Texas:
AUSTIN   $25/yr
Capital City Scribes, P.O. Box 5427, Austin, TX  78763
Website: http://www.main.org/ccscribes/
where: Wells Fargo Bank Building, 111 Congress Avenue, One Congress Plaza,
Austin, TX  78701
When: 2nd Tuesdays, September - May, 6:30-9:00pm
Contact: Phoebe Allen, President,  Phone: (512) 444-1326

DALLAS   $25/yr
Kaligrafos - The Dallas Calligraphy Society, 818 Scottsdale, Dallas, TX
75080
Where: Art Encounter, 230 Spanish Village, Dallas, TX  75248
When: 2nd Saturday, September - May
Contact: Dick Mussett, President,  phone: (972) 235-0936

FORT WORTH   $20/yr
Fort Worth Calligraphers Guild, P.O. Box 101732, Fort Worth, TX  76185-1732
Where: Fort Worth Fire & Police Training Academy
When: 2nd Tuesday of every month (Sept - May), 7:30 p.m.
Contact: Kelly Kelso, President, Phone: (682) 429-8933

SAN ANTONIO   $24/yr
San Antonio Calligraphers Guild, P.O. Box 291232, San Antonio, TX  78229
Website: http://www.axs4u.net/home/inksmith/sacg
Where: Christ Episcopal Church, 510 Belknap, San Antonio, TX
When: 1st Thursday of every month, 7-9 p.m.
Contact: Maggie Gillikin, President

WACO   $20/yr
Waco Calligraphy Guild,2425 Colcord Avenue, Waco, TX  76707
Where: Educator's Credit Union, Hwy 6, Waco, TX
When: 2nd Saturday of each month, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
Contact: Jane Stanfield, President

Oklahoma:
OKLAHOMA CITY   $25/yr
Sooner Scribes, Oklahoma City, OK  73101
Where: Will Rogers Garden Center
when: 4th Monday of every month (except June, July, December)
Contact: Wendy Fox, President,  Phone: (405) 946-8593

TULSA   $30/yr
Calligraphy Guild of Oklahoma, P.O. Box 33048, Tulsa, OK  74153
When: 4th Monday of every month (except June, July, December)
Contact: Lynda Jolly, President