[Scriptoris] Re: speaking of standards

Mahee mahee_of_acre at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 12:35:50 PDT 2003

I still look at it from a family point of view. If I, my wife and two of my 3 children all receive awards on the same day, at $35 each... that would be $140. As of right now, only two of the awards received by members of my family are matted and framed, they were 8.5x11 awards. Matts and frames were cheap (relitively speaking), and so those got done. The bigger ones that are not photo standard sizes, have not been done yet because of the prohibitive costs, I can frame one, or take my family to an event this month...hum...

I mean no insult to those who paint them, or do the original work. I am just looking at cost.

I recently did 7 awards for Loch Soilleir baronial investiture. One of the things that made them look really nice was that all seven of them came in frames, matted. I used Walmart cheap, real wood frames, and photo matts from Target. True, not the same quality as a professional framing, but still looked really nice.

I was also not suggesting that they suddenly get real small either.... a nip here a tuck there.

And was not suggesting that this suddenly be done...I figure all things take time.

your humble servant,
mahee

Ciard49 at aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 9/9/2003 12:09:23 PM Central Standard Time,
beth at stormreaver.net writes:

> I think we need to revise charter sizes.
> >
> >I agree. No sense in making things being more difficult or expensive to
> >proudly display and protect these treasured awards.
> >
> >Ciard O'Seachnasaigh
>
> ===================
>
> I would DIS-Agree... and strangely, because of the language that Ciard
> used... they are treasures and should be proudly displayed...
>
> My AOA was in a custom, double matted frame within 72 hours of receiving
> it... archival glass, antiqued gold frame... cost at Hobby Lobby - $35.00.
>
> A pittance considering the amount of work that went into it.
>
> I'd say allow the artists that create the scrolls to use the canvas size
> that their work needs/deserves...
>
> -zubeydah

Zubeydah,

I agree with you as far as making originals whatever size is needed or
desired.

But, sad to say, 35 dollars is more than a pittance to many folks, no matter
how many hours it took the scribe to create the treasure.

Ciard