[Scriptoris] Dealing with the backlog (was: commissions??)

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 02:01:18 PDT 2003

Nuala wrote (in response to me and Darius/Star Signet):

> I have been following this thread with interest.  Being relatively new to
> this, I have some comments and questions so, when responding, please
> don't jump on me too hard!

It has been said before, and bears frequent repeating, that there are no stupid
questions, only people too stupid to *ask* questions.

> Nuala     Does anyone know exactly how extensive this backlog is?  Are we
> speaking of 50? 100?  1,000?  5,000?

My guess, based on years of talking to people, is that less than ten percent of
peers and nobles have received peerage/nobility charters/letters patent, and
that less than five percent have achievement documents.  Since each peerage
order (plus the Dons) have at least 100 members apiece, toss in another, say,
200 nobles, plus the few recent terminal Grant orders (archery and equestrian),
and we're talking at least 500 peerage/nobility/terminal-Grant charters/letters
patent, and over 400 achievement documents [adjusting for :^) "repeat
offenders"].  However, most of these people have probably given up hope of ever
getting anything, so I have no idea how many people will actually bother at
this point to try to get a document done.

> Also, what types are needed? Laurel, Pelican, etc.?

Yes.

> And, how many of each?

Lots.

> A short term solution
> that (that probably few would be happy with) would be to do basic artwork
> (but more complicated stuff than is done for our charters) for some of
> these types and customize through calligraphy, details, etc. for each
> particular circumstance.  This would help cut down the backlog; however,
> the recipients might not be happy with this particular solution.

We've tried pre-printed, lower-level achievement documents in the past.  No one
wanted them.  And this kingdom will use pre-printed peerage and nobility
documents over my dead body.

HOWEVER, I believe that there's a good idea in here.  Why can't we get teams of
people together to create originals using a design template?  I think that
design is something that intimidates a lot of newer people, and if there were a
template to trace, which can then be filled in with text, some additional
artwork, and painting--well, perhaps that would help?

Besides, while I'm not up to calligraphy, and my recent experiences have shown
me that I'm also not up to painting, I *love* design work.

> Nuala     It would be helpful to know who needs what and what style/type
> of scroll they want, i.e.,  Count Whatnot would like to have his Pelican
> Scroll based on the Visconti Hours, and, if possible, a particular plate
> (a color copy would be good) with these details as part of it.

In my experience, few clients know enough about calligraphy and illumination to
have much of an opinion beyond "I want something Celtic" or "I don't want that
grey-painted stuff" or "no entymology exhibits".  Most people are quite
ecstatic with whatever you create within those broad parameters.

> Since I have been learning this art,
> the emphasis from everyone I have spoken with is on the quality of the
> work and not the quantity.  It is my hope that as I become more
> proficient, my speed will increase (from slower to slow!).

Practice makes perfect.

> Nuala     I cannot speak for anyone other than myself in this area.  The
> quality of the calligraphy that seems to be "demanded" from the scribes
> is very high indeed.  It also appears to me (a rank beginner in this
> area) that if one's initial efforts are not exemplary, the criticism is
> brutal and little, if any, mentoring is offered.

I'm sorry that this has been your experience.  Please understand that asking
for feedback at an event is not the ideal way of getting it.  Speaking for
myself, I simply cannot provide the time and attention at an event in order to
give adequate feedback, and no doubt come across to many people as brusque, at
best.  That's why I always provide contact information--if an artisan really
wants more help, he/she knows how to contact me.

You're local--call me and come over sometime.  I'll be no harder on you than I
am on myself.

> Admittedly, for the
> most part, I have been trying to do this, learning on my own, and am
> finding it very difficult to emulate the period hands with anything
> resembling acceptable (for scrolls) quality.  I did some mundane
> calligraphy about 30 years ago but the period hands are a completely
> different deal.

Yes, emulating period handwriting is a completely different deal.  One common
difficulty that persons with real-world calligraphy backgrounds have emulating
period handwriting is that the emphasis in modern writing is readability, and
that's not the case at all with most medieval and Renaissance scripts.  (In
fact, the English law clerks advocated bad handwriting--they actively wanted to
prevent the average Englishman from being able to access the "mysteries" of
law.)

> Nuala     I tend to disagree (somewhat) with the opinions above.  Again
> (for myself), painting the simple, small prize scrolls for a Warlord was
> one of the first things I did and, to me, the experience was invaluable
> for training purposes.  I learned a lot about colors, controlling paint,
> etc. and, since the scrolls were not large and were relatively simple,
> they were not near as intimidating as painting, say, an Iris scroll,
> first thing out.  I still enjoy painting them because they are relatively
> quick to do (Can you say immediate gratification?).  And, if I messed one
> up beyond repair (which I did), it is not a real time consuming thing to
> redo one like messing up some of the other pre-printed scrolls we do.
> Ditto with painted invitations.

I appreciate that people have fun doing these things.  I'm glad that people are
getting to do fun things in the SCA.  That's what we all joined the SCA to
do--have fun.  On the other hand, you can learn the same skills painting
pre-printed AoA's and non-armigerous honor documents, and the fact that the
kingdom is perpetually in short supply of these lends weight, I believe, to my
argument.

But I wasn't principally talking about the little pre-printed prize thingys.  I
was referring to the large-scale original prize commemoratives that are fancier
than many a peerage document.  *That's* the talent drain that, frankly, angers
me.  I understand people wanting to "get their feet wet" doing something
small-scale, but these prize things are not remotely small-scale.  They are as
large and grand and elaborate as peerage documents.  That's not "getting your
feet wet".

What I want to know is *why* people are putting all of their effort into those
instead of the backlog.  You, Nuala, were not aware of that backlog, and I do
not hold you responsible in the matter.  (In other words, I'm not mad at you.)
But there are a lot of people who know about the backlog and are choosing to
spend their efforts elsewhere.

The only conclusion I can reach, uncharitable though it may be, is that it's
because prize commemoratives are held up in court for ooh-aah, and
peerage/nobility patents/achievements are currently usually delivered
after-the-fact in private.  Perhaps we could address that by making SHORT
presentations in court of finished documents.  That would also serve the
purpose of advertising to the populace that we're getting the darn things done.

> Another option would be to create an area on the Scriptoris Web Page to
> post the requests for originals (want ads, if you will) with the details
> outlined above.  Any renumerations for such work could be worked out
> between the principals.

Hmmm, I like the idea of clients being able to post "want-ads".

The biggest problem I forsee is convincing the populace that this time, we
really will deliver on our promises to deal with the backlog.

--Serena