[Scriptoris] Re: Backlog

Kayci McKinley kmckinley at petra.com
Wed Sep 10 10:53:23 PDT 2003

Thank you Mahee.  It's always nice to be appreciated.

I have been reading with interest the thread about the backlog of peerage
scrolls.  I am usually the "design" part of the Abby, although we all pitch
in on whatever need to be done and switch off  if needed.

I had a couple of things I wanted to add to the discussion.

I believe that I am one of the offenders for Prize Scrolls that Serena is
talking about.  The reason that I do prize scrolls is because my Baron and
Baroness ask me to.  And I am flattered that they ask me.   I usually do an
11 x 14 scroll for each prize.  I think it is a nice gesture to give the
people who will be representing the Barony for a year a nifty thank you, and
since I don't sew, this is my way to contribute.

I am aware of the backlog, but, the problem I see, and that I have
experienced, is getting the two halves of the equation together.  If I had
someone approach me at an event, email me, phone me, or send me a carrier
pigeon asking for a scroll, I'm pretty sure I would jump at the opportunity.

We need a reliable way to :
1.  Get an artist( or a group of artists) together with the requesting
person and
B.  Once they are together, find a way to get the information on the scroll
that is needed to produce it.  I have noticed that one of the hardest parts
of making the scroll is getting the recipient to tell you what they want,
what award it is, what style they want, what their arms are, if they want
arms included, and generally their expectations for the piece.

I think that the "want ad" idea is a great one.  That way when an artist had
a little free time in their schedule, they could place a "work wanted" ad
and when a person received a promissory for a scroll that they  wanted made,
or if they had a backlogged scroll request, they could put an ad up with the
information on what kind of scroll, etc.  and wait for takers.

I have heard several "new" scribes, or scribes that are trying to get into
originals, lamenting that they don't know what to work on, and I really
sympathize, because a lot of times I am wondering to.

Darius indicated that a lot of the problems are with communication and a I
completely agree.  I think that we could really make a dent in the backlog
if we can implement something like the want ad idea.

Just my 2 cents

Nicolaea