[Scriptoris] Re: Backlog

Kimberly Koch sarapenrose at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 14:08:49 PDT 2003

> So what do you all say peer members of the scribal
> community? Would you
> all be willing to go to your mailing lists (and
> meetings) and find out who
> wants a scroll and if they would be willing to go
> surf to our site and
> pick out a few choices from what they see of who
> they would like to have
> work done by? Would that help get things started?

The problem here is that the folks who currently have
work posted on the website aren't all taking
commissions (like me, for instance - I'm booked). I
also suspect that a lot of the folks who *are* willing
to take commissions do not have work posted on the
page.

So, we can't currently use the website as a place for
people to go "shop" for artisans. We might be able to
build it into that eventually, if we decide that's
what we need to do, but we need to a) get more work
posted there, and b) do more research on the front end
to find out who is available to do scribal work.
Darius already seems to be working on this.

The problem is not finding out who needs a scroll - we
could probably have a huge list put together in a week
if we wanted to.

The real problem is building an active, committed base
of scribes who are willing and able to produce quality
peerage scrolls in quantity and in a timely way. We
don't do this right now (and I'm a perfect example of
this - I have a ton of overdue commissions, and I know
I'm not the only one).

In my personal opinion, we aren't ready, as a
community, to start soliciting the peerages en masse
for scroll requests. Let our Signet do a little
information gathering before we start asking for work
that we aren't prepared to handle yet. Trust me, it
won't be a problem to drum up requests once we're
ready.

A good place to start might be to make a list of
outstanding commissions. If we track those publicly -
on the website, for instance - it might help us get
motivated to complete them, freeing up more scribes to
work on the backlog. Several folks have already listed
what they are working on. Darius, put me down for Kat
(County), Robin (Laurel), and Gunthar (KSCA).

It's also going to help to have a list of folks
willing to commit to doing scribal work on backlog
scrolls - some of you have volunteered already, and
that's great.

Kudos to Darius for all his hard work so far :)

Sara