[Scriptoris] Re: Backlog

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 17:06:50 PDT 2003

--- Chiara <chiara at io.com> wrote:
> Ok, time to face the music on the backlog. First, the peers.
<snip>
> So what do you all say peer members of the scribal community? Would you
> all be willing to go to your mailing lists (and meetings) and find out who
> wants a scroll and if they would be willing to go surf to our site and
> pick out a few choices from what they see of who they would like to have
> work done by? Would that help get things started?
> Chiara

I agree with Sara on this one, I don't think the scribal community is really ready
to get the peerage to tell us how many scrolls they want.  I think you would be in
for a shock.  We had a discussion about it once in the Pelicans (and yes, Pelican's
like pretty shiney things on their walls too! - it's a bird thing!), and a lot of
them had no idea that they had the right to go to the Star Signet and request a
scroll.  There was a large response (some 20 persons).

I think we need to begin training our scribes, even as some of those other kingdoms
do, to be able to do more all handmade work, and the ones who are brilliant painters
from the charter painting experience, can work together with other scribes who can
do the rest.  I can generally do it all.  But, I could design a scroll, callig it,
and hand it off to a painter, so I could go on with another scroll to begin.   Yes,
I think some collaboration will allow us to train more folks, and keep more folks
productive.

Next, I think a roster online would be helpful with a list of who is working on
what, and who is open, may help us keep up with our own personal deadlines.  Some
kingdoms do keep that, and it may help us begin to be organized.   And will give a
list of folks working, so those who want to see, like the Crown, are aware.  It will
also let others see how much backlog scribe jane-doe has on her plate, so they
either wait, or commission someone else.

Last, when we do solicit scroll work from the peerage, I don't think we want to be
creating a scroll for each peerage that person has...let's not play that type of
catchup.  If the peer has all three peerages and is a royal, he gets only ONE
scroll, and all those 'cookies' can be rolled into one text; as an achievement.
Don't spend time on three peerage scrolls and a royal scroll, and eventually a full
achievement scroll, while there are lots of other people waiting for their first.

My .02 cents
Hillary