[Scriptoris] Prize commemoratives (was: Backlog)

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 15:44:19 PDT 2003

Nicolaea wrote:

> I have been reading with interest the thread about the backlog of peerage
> scrolls.  I am usually the "design" part of the Abby, although we all pitch
> in on whatever need to be done and switch off  if needed.

The Abby is a great model for group effort work!

> I believe that I am one of the offenders for Prize Scrolls that Serena is
> talking about.  The reason that I do prize scrolls is because my Baron and
> Baroness ask me to.  And I am flattered that they ask me.   I usually do an
> 11 x 14 scroll for each prize.  I think it is a nice gesture to give the
> people who will be representing the Barony for a year a nifty thank you, and
> since I don't sew, this is my way to contribute.

Prize commemoratives are elaborate originals while White Scarves, Arcus
Majoris, and Golden Lance get pre-printed documents.  These are the terminal
awards in those activities; the highest-level recognition specific to those
activities.  I see no logic in this.  A White Scarf, Arcus Majoris, and Golden
Lance are the culmination of years of dedication and effort.

It used to be (here at least) that the winner got a nicely painted pre-printed
document.  Someone at some point decided that wasn't "good enough" and started
doing originals.  It is my belief that this has gotten WAY out of hand.  This
practice needs to be re-examined in the face of the larger scheme of things.

In addition, the kingdom is having a difficult time getting painted charters.

I appreciate that it is difficult to look a ruling noble in the eye and say,
"I'm sorry, but that's just too much work.  Here's a nicely painted pre-printed
piece."  I can promise you that 99% of recipients can't tell the difference,
and will be just as happy to get something pre-printed.

I won both Steppes Artisan and Stargate Artisan.  The Steppes Artisan
commemorative document was pre-printed, nicely painted, and is framed and
hanging on my wall.  The Stargate Artisan commemorative document was to be an
original--and doesn't yet exist.  (To be fair, the Baron and Baroness of
Stargate were quite apologetic at the time that the document hadn't been
finished ahead of time.)

Look, I know that people are still going to play one-ups-manship games.  It's
part of being human.  I'm just trying to point out what it's costing us; to put
in in perspective; to place it within the context of the larger picture.

--Serena