[Scriptoris] award scrolls and introduction

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Sep 12 06:08:21 PDT 2003

Before I get going I guess I should intro myself in terms of this list.  I
joined and then jumped into talking without a limited time of knowing who
says what and all.

I'm Clare and I've tinkered with calligraphy most of my time in the SCA.  I
was originally one of Trude Lacklandia's set of Atenveldt scribes and
started my actual SCA scroll production then.
Mundanely, I've amasses considerable time in college one class per semester
at a studio art degree with a specialization of watercolour and water based
media (includes egg tempera) and I lack a semester and a half from getting
a degree.  The last two years I've been in a creative block but seem to be
coming out of it.  Currently I do book arts and dabble with research a
bit.  I don't consider myself as an artist because I don't make my living
from art nor is my production level high enough to be an artist.

Scriptwise - I admire the dickens out of people who can do Fraktur, and any
other later Gothic hands.  I stay in the humanist area, early gothic,
ligature and am currently learning copperplate (or attempting to) which has
nothing to do with the SCA but lots with other areas of interest.  I work
at the University of Texas developing curriculum for the Biology office but
I'm happy to do research for people when I can.  I am getting ready to try
my hand at silverpoint and making my own paints for egg tempera so I can go
back to miniature painting.

On the Branwyn (her being 10) scales of filling space I am about a 2 or
3.  (I use her to judge how packed with things a work is..... I like white
space and the principle of less is more).  I admire Serena's scroll she did
for Edwin because it truly shows the elegance of the written word and I
wish I wish I had the patience to do it her way.  (grin)

I do think that limited scroll per artisan is not a bad thing.  I also feel
that each person sets his or her own pace.  It's part of the style of the
craftsman.  I don't see any harm if someone wants some one particularly to
do their scroll they wait two years or so.   I also don't think that we
should even think of fixing the scroll backlog.... People will ask you if
they want one and then they can negotiate what they want.  What I think
might be nice is that the written word be promoted more in other areas.  I
see nothing wrong with a page of a book of hours being given as as prize or
gift.  If I received such for my elevation for anything, I would be happy
as a clam.

I used to be on this list, got off, became active in other areas and now
have wandered back.

Regards,

Clare