[Scriptoris] Pen nibs

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 14:57:50 PST 2004

--- Claryce <claryce at cox.net> wrote:
> Question:
> What about Calligraphy supplies?  I'm starting to do calligraphy, and I heard this weekend that
> there are much better nibs than the standard Speedball type.  (Which is the only type I've found
> at 3 different Art Supply stores).
>
> So...Any sources for good nibs?  It would also help if I had the brand name of the nib so I can
> look for it.
> Thanks,
> Claryce

I have a list on the qualities of many nibs available, if I find it will post it.   You will
rarely find dip-pen nibs at the Michael's and Hobby Lobby stores, other than Speedball, and the
occasional Osmiroid and Shaeffer cartridge pen sets.   So, you may be left with buying online.

Other than Speedball, most popular are:  Brause, Hunt, Mitchell, and Tape. Be sure to order a
resevoir if they come separately.  You can also find a variety of crowquill nibs and copperplate
nibs, we don't use them often (crowquill's folks use for fineline instead of technical pens).

Someone correct me if I get this wrong; Speedball makes the Hunt nibs, and Mitchell and Brause are
made by the same company.  Some pen nibs are very flexible, so will need to be used by those with
'lighter' hands, and more rigid nibs by those with a 'heavy' hand.

Most beginners do fine with the Speedball 'C' nibs, as they have a heavy hand to begin, and can
work toward the light hand.  I have a few of all the nib styles listed and use them all from time
to time, mostly depending on the letter size I want to use.

You can make a more flexible nib more rigid, by just using it (called work hardening), or by using
a metalsmith technique to heat it with a lighter or match, then quench it in water.  To make a pen
more flexible, heat it and let it air cool.

Essentially, try a variety of nibs and use the one's that you are most comfortable with.

Cheers, Hillary
PS. - Claryce, next time you are in Houston, we need to take a tour of Texas Art Supply.  Bring
your checkbook!  Or check them out online.