Fw: [Scriptoris] Questions Regarding Charters . . .

Zubeydah zubeydah at northkeep.org
Tue Feb 8 05:42:47 PST 2005

well, darn it, I really didn't mean to have it SEND right yet... *sigh*

Nuala:

I can't address the majority of your questions - I hope those more learned here can - but some I can answer:

You asked:
"5.  Could someone explain to me why we have charters for White Scarfs and Centurions but not Knighthood.  I thought all of these were peerages.  If  Knighthood needs an original only, why don't White Scarves and  Centurions? Or any of the other peerages? I don't understand.  From my research, it would seem that any of these peers could then commission an Achievement, if they desire one.  What am I missing here?"

The Centurions are not Peerages.  If I was going to compare them to anything else (and it's not an exact comparison, really), it would be like an Iris for Combat, kinda-sorta. A Centurion is an acknowledged leader on the field of combat -generally melee combat, but the award text doesn't say that specifically, though that's come to be the way its perceived in a lot of ways.

White Scarves are supposed to be the equivilant of a Knighthood, but a fourth peerage (other than Knight, Laurel, and Pelican) does not exist in the eyes of the SCA, Inc.  We in Ansteorra believe that the rapier community deserves this recognition, but it is still not an official Peerage.

All three peerages get original charters.

You asked:
"7.  It is my understanding that certain awards (King's Archer, King's Gauntlet, Queen's Rapier, etc.) are given once per reign.  Could the new Crown select from the designs available and have these done specifically for their reign between Crown Tourney and when they are actually awarded?"

That makes a lot of sense... I do know that Drake gave out more than one King's Gauntlet, and Sibri gave out more than one Queen's Rapier... I know that I, personally, attempted to paint scrolls in the colors of the seated Sovereigns whenever possible, to personalize it to their reign, but I don't know if anyone else does that...  (I did a lot of purple, gold, and blue - that was their majesties favorite colors, also used in their devices)

A lot of what you said about scroll rotation and variety makes a lot of sense.  I love variety in scrolls, and there's nothing like the feeling of getting to see a new charter you've never had the chance to paint before...  I've actually been (eep!) working in little mousey steps on a charter design of my own... or two... but it will be a long time until I feel comfortable enough sending them in!

Its my understanding that ONE of the reasons that scrolls are retired is that typos or issues are discovered, or the original designer requests that it be removed from circulation.

I hope this helps and that someone else more knowledgeable can address your other questions....

-Zubeydah