[Scriptoris] of Grant level fighting awards

Michael Smith morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 8 07:49:29 PST 2005

[/de-lurk]
Greetings to the list do send I, Centurion Morgan Buchanan.  I lurk many lists via the archives to see what I can learn, but on this occasion I hope to offer some illumination on a subject near and dear to my heart.  :)

Zubeydah stated her perception of the Order of the Centurion of the Sable Star of Ansteorra .  To paraphrase, we're given our recognition of rank more for leadership on the melee field than on the singles field.  This perception isn't WHOLELY wrong, but is far from being the literal truth.  Our order is definded by the members of the order.  As a polling order, we each give our King our opinions on prospective members.  Some of my brothers and sisters are more interested in melee combat than singles, and some more in singles than melee.  Some of us don't really care, as long as we're in armour fighting.  But the final analysis is that every candidate is discussed with their fighting "package" in mind.  Someone who's a fantastic war leader can probably get by being a less accomplished tourney fighter.  Someone who's an incredible tourney fighter can get by with less war leading experience.  But we do indeed look for a balanced individual in terms of fighting.  We are, however, looking at so many other factors as being more important.  Ask a different centurion which is more important, and you'll get another answer.  We used to debate the "nature" of our order.  We've come to the realization that the order does best to define itself by its members than by debating it in the circle.  :)  I don't think I've let out any big secrets there.

On the nature of the White Scarf, I must respectfully disagree with the notion that it is, was, is supposed to be, or could be an "equivelant" of knighthood.  It is not, and was not meant to be.  It is a Grant Level award, and CERTAINLY one that we in Ansteorra hold in VERY high esteem.  But I have never personally heard from any White Scarf that they felt that it was peerage like.  I've heard from many White Scarfs that they feel it should NEVER be a peerage.  Certainly there are folks who think we should have peerages for everything.  There are people who believe that we should have a peerage for the rapier community.  I'm not debating that.  But please don't suggest that Ansteorra as a whole believes the WS to be the equivelant of a peerage.  That's simply not the case, as I think you'd find if you asked 20 different WSAs.

Respectfully submitted,
Centurion Morgan Buchanan
Central Regional KM
[/re-lurk]