[Scriptoris] Questions Regarding Charters . . .

Star Signet star_signet at ansteorra.org
Tue Feb 8 11:57:15 PST 2005

Ok then here are a few answers

> 1.  How is the determination made to "retire" charters?  What criteria
> determine the necessity of retiring one charter against another;  i.e.,
> if there are two (2) AoAs, designed at approximately the same time, of
> similar quality, why would one be chosen for retirement as opposed to the
> other?

There are several determining factors when we decide to retire a charter.
ONe of the larger pionts in consideration is time in service. Sometimes trhe
artist who designed it requst it's retirement.

> 2. Once "retired," are charters ever "reactivated?"  If not, why not?  It
> could be fun to "reactivate" some of the older designs for limited time
> periods as a nod to our history.

Yes they can be but we have to be carefull of making sure we still have
permision to publish some of the older designs before we do so. , the
Caralignian "P" AoA is retired for now but I am sure it will come back into
circulation again.

> 3. I have heard from the people who paint charters (as opposed to doing
> originals, designing, etc.) that they would like more variety available
> for the various awards.  We currently have a total of 49 active charters
> and, of those, only eight (8) are for an Award of Arms.  Shouldn't there
> be more active charters than 49?  And, if, say 50, is the optimum active
> number, shouldn't  more than eight (8) be for AoAs?  (I am asking this as
> it is my understanding that the Kingdom gives out more AoAs than any
> other award.)  Would it be feasible to reactivate some older AoA charters
> so that the people who only want to paint charters have a bit more
> variety for the award(s) Kingdom gives out most often?

We don't have that many .....really.

> 4.  Would it be feasible to have a rotation of charters with, for
> example, a base of 100 designs but only 70 active at any one time and
> rotating one set of 30 into circulation and another 30 out on an annual
> basis?  This could give more variety for the good people who paint these.
>  The changes could be made at a Red Tape where there is a scribal
> meeting.

Again we don't have that many... would be nice though

> 5.  Could someone explain to me why we have charters for White Scarfs and
> Centurions but not Knighthood.  I thought all of these were peerages.  If
>  Knighthood needs an original only, why don't White Scarves and
> Centurions? Or any of the other peerages? I don't understand.  From my
> research, it would seem that any of these peers could then commission an
> Achievement, if they desire one.  What am I missing here?

Um because the White Scarf, Centurion and Arcus and Golden Lance are not
peerages. not really wanting to get into that discusion here on this list if
you want to delve deeper into it there are list out there for people who
advocate a fourth peerage beyond the Chivalry, the Laurel, and the Pelican.

We do not have pre print charters for any of the peerages and the White
Scarf holding as much presige in this kingdom as it does many times gets
custom original works.

> 6.  Does anyone have an approximate  breakdown by reign of how many of
> each award is given per reign?  An average over the last three to five
> years would be helpful for figuring out what the demand for each type of
> charter is and, therefore, calculating how many of each design would be
> ideal to have active at any given time.  It seems (to me, anyway) that
> the awards given most often need the greatest variance in available
> designs with, perhaps, descending numbers of available designs for those
> awards given less frequently.  Does this make sense to anyone?

It is some where around 300 per reign

> 7.  It is my understanding that certain awards (King's Archer, King's
> Gauntlet, Queen's Rapier, etc.) are given once per reign.  Could the new
> Crown select from the designs available and have these done specifically
> for their reign between Crown Tourney and when they are actually awarded?

The only award limited by it's constitution to once per reign is the Lion,
many gloves and gauntlet charters are infact as you suggested chosen by the
crown from what Sable Scroll has on hand or custom painted for a particular
person.

> As I study these things, I seem to have many more questions than answers
> so I will appreciate any information you can provide.  Thank you for your
> time and consideration.

ALways feel free to ask questions there are many points about the history of
the college I was un aware of untill I sat down and went through the old
archive files for this office. if we don't ask questions qwe will never know
the answers.

Darius
Signet

--