[Scriptoris] Award creations

Star Signet star_signet at ansteorra.org
Mon Mar 28 14:40:47 PST 2005

Ches asked:

> But i have a different question and whoever answers it can change
> the subject line to reflect the new thread. How can you create a new
> award with name and heraldry given that it takes so long to get them
> passed for normal folks? Is there a fast track for new awards?
>
> Chiara

Technicaly acording to copora and the CoA admin handbook, all awards must be
"ratified by Laurel Sovieriegn of arms."

What actually tends to happen is as follows

The crown says to a heraldicly inclined person on entourage and/or Star
principal, We are going to form a new award/order, we want to call it this
and use this armory, please make it happen.

Said Herald goes about trying to fufill the crowns wishes and most times the
crown goes ahead with the creation of said order/award.

about a month afterward we find out that name and or armory wanted won't
fly. and that brings us to where we now are on the Optio/Sable Talon.

This is of course a generalazation. Some crowns are more SCA heraldry savy
than others. Some simply have a good herald on Entourage.  All Crowns try to
follow the rules in regards to creation of awards it just doesn't always
work out that way.

In my opinion the reason why we have these issues in Ansteorra with our
award names and orders is we, as a Kingdom,  very much like the idea that
"the Crowns word is Law" While this does contribute greatly to the ambiance
of our game it also contributes to bureaucratic quicksand.

Darius