[Scriptoris] *founding* Landed B&B...

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 24 14:18:18 PDT 2005

--- Zubeydah Jamilla al-Badawiyya <zubeydah at northkeep.org> wrote:

> Has anyone ever made, or seen, a scroll created for the *Founding* Baron and
> Baroness of a group?  I would assume that a "Founding Landed" scroll would
> be different from a 'Court Barony' scroll by a significant amount.... I am
> specifically looking for help on language.... and then I'm hoping to get the
> language translated into Latin....

<Serena roots around and finds her dusty official thinkin'-an-doin' cap...>

For the purposes of this answer I am assuming that the use here of the fatally
ambiguous term "scroll" is meant to refer to Ansteorran charters, and not
Ansteorran heraldic achievement confirmations.

I have been very busy with Real Life, but since I've owed this answer to too
many people for too long, here it is:

Altered Court Baronial charter text for former Landed Barons & Baronesses:

Know ye that we _____ & _____ King and Queen of Ansteorra in recognition of
loyal service as the {Baron/ess} of _____ and further in consideration of
especial deeds ability and grace do by this our charter advance _____ to the
rank and estate of {Baron/ess} of the Court of Ansteorra with all
responsibilities and privileges thereto appertaining with precedence dating
from {his/her} investiture as {Baron/ess} of ______ on the ____ day of _____
Anno Societatis _____ being Anno Domini _____.  This is so done and given
[etc.]

Altered Court Baronial charter text for founding Landed Barons & Baronesses:

Know ye that we _____ & _____ King and Queen of Ansteorra in recognition of
loyal service as the founding {Baron/ess} of _____ and further in consideration
from {his/her) investiture as the founding {Baron/ess} of _____ on the _____
day of _____ Anno Societatis _____ being Anno Domini _____.  This is so done
and given [etc.]

NOTE ON THESE TWO TEXTS:  permission is NOT granted to substitute other words
for the phrases "in recognition of" and "in consideration of" where they appear
in these specific texts, nor is it permissible to swap them.

Altered Barony in Fief charter text for when a Barony is being founded, long
form, with standard markings for allowable alterations:

[King’s given name] and [Queen’s given name] <by Right of Arms> King and Queen
of Ansteorra to all <unto whom these Presents shall have come> give greetings.
Know ye that we in consideration of the weal of our loving and faithful
subjects of our {Shire} of [name of branch] <and the desires of the same> do
<of our especial grace certain knowledge and mere motion> advance and promote
the aforesaid {Shire} of [name of branch] to the estate and quality of a Barony
of our realm and further in consideration of the noble qualities eminent
character and faithful service of our <wellbeloved and faithful> [name of
founding Baron/ess] and likewise considering the welfare of our Barony of [name
of newly-created Barony] as aforesaid do we therefore advance <create and
prefer> the aforesaid [name of founding Baron/ess] for his fealty and service
to the rank estate style title and degree of {Baron/ess} of [name of new
Barony] for {his/her/their} Fealty and Service to have and to hold of us and
our Successors Kings and Queens of Ansteorra in Fidelity and Honor in all
Places <and Things and Liberties and free Customs> thereto appertaining <as
fully and freely as any {Baron and/or Baroness} of our Realm hitherto hath done
the Same> from this day until such time as the aforesaid [name of Baron/ess]
resigns this honor again into our hands. Wherefore we will <and firmly direct>
that the aforesaid [name of recipient] enjoy such Rights <Privileges Insignia
and Precedence> without Let or Hindrance by any Person whomsoever. Done at our
[branch type] of [branch name] this [number] Day of [month] Anno Societatis
[number] being Anno Domini [number]. In Testimony whereof we have hereunto set
our Hands.

NOTE ON LATIN TRANSLATIONS:

PLEASE, folks, don't translate from English to Latin for making documents!  The
Latin used in medieval and Renaissance legal documents is *not* classical
Latin; it's closer to "church Latin", but runs a somewhat divergent path after
documents stop being produced principally in monasteries and become the work of
professional secular scribes.  In addition, there are certain English words
that have several Latin possibilities, but only ONE was EVER used in the
original Latin; for example, what we now translate into English as various
versions of "Know ye" was *always always always* originally "Sciatis".

If you want Latin texts, start from Latin texts.  The standard scholarly works
on English (the people, not the language) documents, which is the basis for all
current Ansteorran documents, are by Hubert Hall: *Studies in English Official
Historical Documents* (New York: Burt Franklin, 1969. Reprint of 1908
edition.), which is an introduction to how documents were written, and *Formula
Book of English Official Historical Documents* (New York: Burt Franklin, 1969.
Reprint of 1908-09 edition.), 2 volumes, which is the selection of example
texts in Latin, the first volume being the one relevant for most SCA purposes.

--Serena Lascelles, Magistra Laureae et Pelicani
Blanc Gryffon Herald
Deputy to Star Principal Herald in charge of writing and maintaining official
awards texts for the Kingdom of Ansteorra