[Scriptoris] Sable Crane or Thistle?

Corbisier, Barbara L barb at tamu.edu
Wed Mar 8 10:58:17 PST 2006

I've already checked in, but I feel I should explain my answer a bit more.

A person who paints charters and has painted many of them, but has no idea of any differences
between knotwork vs. vinework or where/when either of them developed, can't tell the difference
between a gothic or carolingian hand and/or doesn't care is a good Crane candidate.  This individual
isn't interested in learning how to do C&I, learning about the history of it, the appropriate type of
materials, etc., but simply wants to help the kingdom and does so by painting charters.  Their skill
may have improved, but that is a byproduct, not the main goal.

A person who paints charters and has looked in a book or two to find out what colors are appropriate
for a given style, knows what types of embellishments are appropriate, i.e., red dots around
knotwork letters, has taken a class or two on C&I topics, and has used this knowledge on charters
and has worked to improve his/her illumination skills is a better Thistle candidate.  This individual
wants to learn C&I and has tried to do some original calligraphy, an illuminated capital, knotwork,
etc., but may not have painted as many charters as the individual described above.

The key difference between the two is motivation and research.  The Thistle candidate has done
some research, while the Crane candidate hasn't.  The Crane candidate is motivated by service, while
the Thistle candidate is motivated by learning to do things "the period way" and improvement of
artistic skills.

-Catherine Barbary

Hillary Greenslade <hillaryrg at yahoo.com> said:

> For grins, I ran quick check through the current posted Order of Precidence:
>
> Sable Thistles with Categories in:
> Brushwork  - 10
> Charter Painting - 1
> Illumination - 64
> Calligraphy - 37
> Calligraphy and Illumination - 39
> Graphic Arts - 10
> Artwork - 10
> Scribal Arts - 6
> Heraldic Arts - 14
> Cartography - 1
> Decorative Arts - 2
>
> cheers, Hillary

Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina.