[Scriptoris] Champion/Prize Scrolls or Historical Reproduction/Interpretations??

hsetrinity at aol.com hsetrinity at aol.com
Fri Sep 29 10:19:01 PDT 2006

Personally, I’ve created all 3 types of scrolls mentioned here (SCA hybrid, period-style legal documents, and Books of Hours/Manuscript pages with period and/or original text), and personally prefer the latter "Book of Hours" style for arts and sciences displays / competitions, as well as for tournament prizes.

As a service to the Kingdom, my local group, and/or a favor to a friend, I’ve happily created the “Hybrid/SCA” – style documents, and think that *most* people want and/or expect to receive these “scrolls”  given as award certificates, whether they be for an official award or a prize. (As a personal preference, I display these, if I do anything at all with them other than give them to the recipient or donate them, rather than enter them in a competition.)

Given all of this, as most SCA scribes begin their individual journeys into the art with the hybrid documents, (and put a lot of effort into creating them), I would hate to see them discounted at an Arts and Sciences competition/display, as they have become such an ingrained tradition in the Society. Also, some of them can be quite beautiful works of art.

My opinions only - your mileage may (and probably will) vary...

Suzanne G.M. Beraud