[Scriptoris] Indian Minature manuscript arts, dancing, storytelling music and more at Texas A&M

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 16:57:21 PST 2006

India Culture Week at Texas A&M campus on Feb. 13-19th, 2006.   Postcard I got noted planned
events to include Indian storytelling, music, food and more.  Check out the website at:
http://stark.tamu.edu/exhibit.html

Concurrent with India Week, an art exhibit at the J. Wayne Stark gallery in the student center
from Jan. 19th - March 5th.
Open Sat & Sun Noon - 6pm.

If interested in driving over to College Station to check out the manuscripts & other arts, I'm
looking at Sunday, Feb. 12th, after Guardian of the Gauntlet, all welcome to join me.
Cheers, Hillary

Details of art exhibit:
Miniature Worlds, Art from India
Lindsey Gallery, January 19-March 5, 2006
J. Wayne Stark Galleries center

This exhibition, which is on loan from the permanent collection of The Art Complex Museum in
Duxbury, Massachusetts, showcases 65 examples of Indian artwork from the 15th to the 19th
centuries, including watercolors, drawings, sculpture, portraiture and illustrated manuscripts.
Miniature Worlds explores five traditions of Indian Art:  Hindu and Jain Deities, Portraiture,
Love, History, and Heroic Battles and Hunts.  Three-dimensional works with religious significance,
such as the Dancing Ganesha sculpture or small figurines used for daily worship in household
shrines will be on display.  Visitors will also see royal portraits of Mughal emperors that were
used to document the wealth and splendor of life within a feudal court, as well as other finely
detailed miniature portraits that emphasize the exquisite jewels, fabrics, and gold that filled
the ruler's domain.  Additional portraits reflect the influence of British colonization and the
arrival of European trends and traditions.