[Scriptoris] Painting Techniques

Velvet Claw a_velvet_claw at yahoo.com.au
Thu Mar 2 09:08:38 PST 2006

Here's my 2 cents, Hillary dear.

 The lifting colour technique you describe is heavily used in Stefan
Oliver's "Paint Your Own Illuminated Letters".
For anyone interested in being taken step by step through the process to
produce some letters from a selection of centuries, have a look at  this
book! There are 25 projects

  I do have to say that his drawings are a bit rough and ready, but I've
found that by researching some similiar examples and re-drawing a bit, you
can come up with something as 'sleek and sophisticated' as you wish.

Megan