[Scriptoris] Sable Crane or Thistle?

lizdenpeters@juno.com lizdenpeters at juno.com
Tue Mar 7 20:18:15 PST 2006

Good Gentles,

When I began painting charters, I was said to be skilled and received a
Thistle for Illumination.  At that time, painting charters was all I had
done and this was prior to designing any scrolls or learning any
calligraphy.

I would say that if one does excellent calligraphy, it would be
appropriate to have a Thistle for calligraphy; for painting, a Thistle
for illumination.  If one does design, calligraphy and illumination, a
Thistle for scribal arts which would include all these skills.  If one
paints a great many charters with skill, then a Thistle for illumination
and a Crane for providing a great service to the Kingdom.  It is my
opinion (which probably is not worth a great deal) that "artwork" would
be too general a term and that limning would not be understood by the
Society members with only a few years of tenure in this art.

I know a number of people who simply like to paint charters and have no
desire to learn calligraphy or design.  It takes  skill to complete a
charter of beauty and it is only fair that this be recognized for the art
it is.  I cannot remember how many awards are given each reign (but I do
remember being staggered by the number) so recognition for quantity
production of beautiful charters is appropriate also.

For many, the humble AoA is the only recognition they will ever receive
as members.  It is good to occasionally remember that there are no small
awards.

Yours in Service,

Liz and/or Fionnghuala the Fair "Nuala" and/or my evil twin, Cedric
Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
> Hillary Greenslade <hillaryrg at yahoo.com> said:> > > Ansteorran scribes
- > > A question was recently posed to me, and I thought I'd find out >
what you guys thought. > > > > If a gentle paints charters, paints them
well, and paints lots of > them... > > but only paints charters, doesn't
design the illumination or do > calligraphy.... > > should they be
recommended for a: > > Sable Crane - for the service they are doing? > >
Sable Thistle - for the artwork they are doing?
- perhaps one who designs and paints their
> illuminations?> > - Charter Painting? - found 1 Ansteorran who has
received a > thistle in this category.> > - Limning?  -  defined as 'to
draw or paint', 'line drawings', > 'painter of portraits'.> > - Artwork?
- or would artwork be too generic a term.  > > > > Let me know what you
guys thing, > > Hillary