[Scriptoris] Sable Crane or Thistle?

sandra goodrich tgnst at swbell.net
Wed Mar 8 08:10:03 PST 2006

I concur wholeheartedly with Serena, in fact I started the 'Brushwork' connotation, thats what it is, I try to keep myself fro screaing every time a thistle is given for painting yet giveb as illuination or other misleading field, grrr,
  There are any ways to support and proote the painting of scrolls and our painters that don't involve the award system... Willow taught me about largess and wordfame over a quarter of a century ago, lessons that I continue to use and that have shaped who I have come to be...
  After all Our Crown's are limited to giving out awards nowadays, not armrings, cups, boarhound puppies, horses, weapons. or other items of appreciation, and Courts are too short to give fordfame unless they come with charters and regalia, sigh...
  But we can all fill in the gaps according to our pockets and station, be it chocolate, siles, and words of encourageent, or what we each feel befitting the situation...
  And when it is waranted, recoend the to the Crown, and if it's a thistle an 'appropriate' category, ight I recoend 'brushwork'....'Stacia

Diane Rudin <serena1570 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I would say that the most appropriate award to give a charter painter is a
Sable Crane, unless they're doing really totally amazing painting *and*
teaching/cajoling others to do it too, in which case a Sable Thistle in
"Charter Painting" or "Brushwork" would be appropriate.

"Illumination" is a term too closely associated with designing and drawing the
artwork as well as painting it, "Painting" alone implies fine-art painting, and
"Limning" is most closely associated with painting miniatures, if one has even
heard of the term at all. As Hillary mentioned, "Artwork" is just waaaay too
generic.

But most of all what anyone needs is wordfame, not awards.

--Serena