[Scriptoris] Swedish Heraldic Lion issue

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 15:01:26 PST 2007

>From the Medieval Trivia list, by way of the Calon list,
  Hillary

  Army castrates heraldic lion
Published: 13 Dec 07 12:34 CET
Online: <http://www.thelocal .se/9398/>http://www.thelocal .se/9398/

Protests from female soldiers have led to the
Swedish military removing the penis of a heraldic
lion depicted on the Nordic Battlegroup' s coat of arms.

The armed forces agreed to emasculate the lion
after a group of women from the rapid reaction
force lodged a complaint to the European Court of
Justice, Göteborgs-Posten reports.

But although the army was eventually happy to
make the changes in the interests of gender
equality, the artist who designed the insignia was less than pleased.

"A heraldic lion is a powerful and stately figure
with its genitalia intact and I cannot approve an
edited image," Vladimir A Sagerlund from the
National Archives told Göteborgs-Posten.

Sagerlund blasted the army for making changes to
the coat of arms without his permission.

"The army lacks knowledge about heraldry. Once
upon a time coats of arms containing lions
without genitalia were given to those who betrayed the Crown," said Sagerlund.

But the castrated lion has already won the day
and is now worn on the arms of all soldiers in
the battle group's Swedish battalions.

"We were given the task of making sure the willy
disappeared, " Christian Braunstein from the
army's 'tradition commission' told Göteborgs-Posten.

"We were forced to cut the lion's willy off with
the aid of a computer," he added.

The Nordic Battlegroup is one of eighteen such
military groups in the European Union. Some 2,000
of its 2,400 soldiers come from Sweden, with the
rest coming from Finland, Norway, Ireland and Estonia.