[Scriptoris] Tricks and the Nib Question

Cat Clark cat at rocks4brains.com
Thu Dec 18 16:30:55 PST 2008

> As to writing small, I only got into that because my mundane master (a
> national one) challenged me to a contest. The last tiny thing I did
> was a postage stamp sized quotation, a paragraph--with red uncial
> versal--of Sir Francis Bacon---with the x-height of the minuscules at
> less than a millimeter high on a scrap of vellum I had trimmed. The
> funny thing is that a Laurel who saw it (with my magnifying glass)
> wrote in her commentary that, though she had never written that small,
> my lettering was "sloppy." I have giggled ever since about that, and I
> have the very piece hanging prominently by my front door for my daily
> giggle.  ROTFL!
> Lete

Damn, that's smaller than I've ever done and I delude myself in thinking
that I'm the Queen of Small.  The smallest I've ever done was 3 mm, but
it was a readable and neat English bastarde formata.  I did it with a
Speedball C-7 on vellum that I made myself and which I subsequently
post-sanderach polished (because I deliberately had to underload the ink
on the nib to do the letters without "felting up" the nib with collogen
strands).

So, was that a mm for the body of the miniscules or was that body plus
ascenders (not that it matters that much with uncial...)

ttfn
Therasia's envious evil twin, must go smaller...