[Scriptoris] More Tricks

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 19 09:08:47 PST 2008

Try honing a steel pointed pen that is normally used for Spencerian
or Engraver's Copperplate, hands popularized in the late 1800's.
Don't use one toooooo flexible, though.

I use a jeweler's pull-down visor to magnify the tip so I can check
that I honed it in a perpendicular squared-off and not an italic
slant. The visor in its lesser magnifications will help in the actual
lettering.

And you are right about the 5-5-5 measurements for a line----if it is
an italic hand. The x-height was the one I wrote about. Other hands
need different measurements, as you already know. Once I did a "play
piece" and used an engineering ruler to discover the x-height ( like
an a or an o or an n) was 1/20th of an inch. That's about it for me.
Head on out, Queen of Small. Keep that crown. More power to you. If
my master weren't dead, I'd sic you on him just for the jollies!

I have finished out vellum when I was studying (mundanely) with a
protege (Thomas Ingmire) of Donald Jackson (Millennium/ St. John:s
Bible). DJ was my first gilding teacher. BTW, the parchment thingy is
a real bitch. Plaudits to you for doing it. I prefer buying mine and
touching it up, but not enough to make a napped surface, like some in
the class mistakenly did.

On the other hand, those tiny nibs are so sharp, it's hard not to get
fibers in them, even after sandarac and polishing. It taught me to
just have a lighter touch than normal. I keep a piece of leather
wrapped around my left thumb to rake out the fibers in the nib when I
am in a full-steam-ahead mode. Keeps me from accidentally tattooing
myself with an ink-filled nib. (giggle)

Sandarac? I love the stuff. Use it on everything! Especially if I
have to mundanely write in a bound book. If you want to buy in
sandarac in bulk, try Kremer Pigments. You can buy up to 1 kilogram.
If you find some in "tears" (sap globs), it's a bitch to hand grind
the facepowder level needed. I will, on occasion, re-grind powders I
have bought. Sometimes, ya just have to.

Hint for somebody lurking: early on, I learned from experience not to
rub my eye with that powder on my hand-----felt just like when I
rubbed my eye as a kid, helping my grandfather pick hot peppers from
his garden!!! Dusting the sandarac off the paper with a feather so as
to not get body oil on the paper helps, but, still, I don't trust
some not to be loose somewhere, ya know?

Since K. P.  are the ones who furnished the pigments for restoration
after the floods in Florence, you might want to look at that section
in their catalog. Some can get realllllly pricey, but when you think
of the time and energy to make, say, Fra Angelico Blue, it might be
worth the price. I haven't had to buy from them for a while, so you
might want to check on them. Too, there is something about signing up
with them for coupons when they offer them.

Great hearing from you. Would love to have a wonderful afternoon to
schmooze. Would be lots of fun and I'll bet I could come home with a
plethora of great ideas/techniques to experiment with!

YIS,
Lete
Barony of the Steppes, BTW-----Where are you?