[Scriptoris] paper for original works

Alexandria Doyle garbaholic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 15:20:54 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Sarah Redford
<reddragun38_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Also, I am going to do some illumination and calligraphy on a wood surface.  Would it be better to do the work on paper and glue it to the wood, coat the wood with gesso and do the work on that or use another technique?

I think a lot depends on the type of paint you intend to use.
Gilding, with tempera and oil paints were used on wood upon a gessoed
base.  For example
<https://www.kimbellart.org/artandlove/cassone_panel.asp>  This panel
is from an Italian wedding chest (It may be the inside of the lid, or
the front of the chest) was done in tempera, and if it doesn't have
gilding I do know I saw several other pieces of similar type at this
exhibit, that did have massive amounts of gilding in the art work.
The pieces that I do recal having script of some type within the
paintings were painted in, and didn't look like something done with
pen and ink.

So are you looking at the wood as a mounting/framing surface for your
piece? or is it a box/ or other object that you are decorating?

that will determine, I think, whether you'd want to use paint to be
applied or work directly on the surface.

alex
--
So much to do and so little attention span to get it done with…