[Scriptoris] Black outlines retrieved, correction techniques

Emma Fairwyll emmafairwyll at gmail.com
Wed May 5 18:19:49 PDT 2010

Sending much gratitude for all the fine education on fixes...as a newby they
saved me potential heartbreak and "that didn't work" experience.  Surely I
will be practicing the tips and value any more that you send in the
future...you're awesome!...

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Elaine <eshc at earthlink.net> wrote:

> In earlier days and for 'batched" scrolls, we had the artwork outlines and
> some of the general text printed by copy machine with space left for the
> winner's name and the competition info to be hand-scribed at the appropriate
> time. (When there are 50 plus to letter in a weekend, shortcuts were taken
> so the scribes wouldn't pass out on the job.) At "painting parties," the
> preprinted ink outlines of the artwork made wonderful "dams" for the colored
> parts, provided the paint had the right viscosity so as to stop when it got
> to the line. The names and competition info were scribed on site.
>
> Corrections are not hard. I have cleaned up beginning painters' artwork
> (after it dried thoroughly) with a very light scraping of the top layer to
> get the over-paint off, but not hard enough to disturb the preprinted ink.
> Takes a verrrry light touch if you want to clean up work. Jeweler's
> "goggles" help, too.
>
> Another point: if you have an unwanted flick of ink or color on a scroll,
> reprinted or otherwise, carefully curve the error area over your other
> hand's index finger or over a jar like a Miracle Whip jar and, using the
> long side of an Xacto blade to scrape in a fine powder the area, touching
> just enough to get the paint powdered, but not the paper. (Pray the paint is
> a pigmented one and not a dye-type that sinks in.)
>
> Don't just scrape in one direction, but scrape in the directions of an
> asterisk.  Blowing after each scrape keeps the powder from falling into the
> interstices of the paper's fibers. Just don't spit on the paint when you
> blow!
>
> If you have to reletter or repaint over the corrected area, it is best to
> burnish the disturbed area with the back of a spoon, but not hard enough to
> leave "spoon grooves" or make the paper shiny. If the area is not large, you
> might try the flat top of your fingernail. Burnishing will settle the fibers
> down if they have been disturbed and make them more suitable for
> corrections. A dusting with sandarac ground to face powder fineness (put on
> by a pounce pad and removed by a feather) is an additional way to prepare
> burnished paper for correction.
>
> Been at it a while....... There are other tricks I have developed through
> the years, but not enough time to tell them here. Good luck to all.
> HL Lete Bithespring
> PS. Be careful about the kind of ink/paint you use to line or reline.----HL
> L B

> On May 4, 2010, at 5:45 PM, Hillary Greenslade wrote:
>
> I think it depends on the illumination source, some will have black lines
>> and some will not.
>> Some sources will outline only some areas, some outline in other colors
>> than black and the colors may vary throughout.  .
>>
>> If the source has black lines, I tend to prefer to do the lines first,
>> wait 24 hours to completely dry, then paint, then go back and touch up only
> [...]

In Service to the House the Shire and the Kingdom and to the Pursuit of True
Honor,
Emma Farewyll