[Scriptoris] pH of paper--Shocking info!

Elaine eshc at earthlink.net
Fri May 14 09:30:38 PDT 2010

In a continued investigation of the problems with the pH of paper, I
ran across the following site and was totally shocked. I had heard,
years ago, that pH neutral paper would eventually revert, but I never
collected stamps.

These people really get serious about their investments' longevity.
They don't even like "acid free" or "pH neutral" papers to put their
stamps on. They don't trust it. And even then, a few years down the
road, they change the paper (the one they DO like) for their stamps
to be displayed on. Wow! What a deeper education into papers.

http://www.stampsrart.com/paper-philatelic-stamps-preservation-
philately.html

Study of museum level glues and tapes should also provide a life-time
work.....whew!  : - ) If this keeps up, we may have to turn doing
scrolls over to the feline population, since they have nine lives to
learn it all.......

Lete (bordering on overwhelmed, but still smiling...... and gaining a
whole new respect for her cat)

PS. Most of the medieval skins that manuscripts were lettered on were
a bi-product of the meat sources the castle/ monastery population had
slaughtered for the table, or so I was told. Any further info on
that, Serena? (If you are new to this area---Serena is a prime,
resident guru on all things C & I.)-----------Lete